Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sloan's Lake to Chatfield Lake

Big ride today! Map.

My daily commute takes me from Sloans Lake to near Stapleton, about 8.5 miles, and that is the distance I'm used to, and really the farthest I've ever gone at once.

Until today.

I had been thinking about a ride down to Chatfield State Park for a while now, and decided that today would be the day. It was about 36 miles round-trip.

I'll go ahead and say for the record here and now, that electing to go for a ride over four times longer than what had previously been your longest ride, is not a super great idea.  I'm kinda hurting. I mean, the ride whupped my butt.

I had a lot of fun, and I'd do it again. I'm just saying that maybe I should have done a 15 miler between the 8.5 and the 36. I've been pretty worthless all afternoon. 

So here are a few comments and observations from the ride:
  • Yet another reason that I will continue to wear my helmet, even on the comparatively "safe" bike path: a grasshopper, mid-flight, crashed into my face and got stuck in my beard. The bug and I both freaked out so hard. Went into the Death Wobbles and nearly dumped over before recovering.
  • Discovered Hudson Gardens' ( cafe facing the bike path. It was delightful! A great little stop for refreshments, water, or bathrooms. There were a lot of cyclists there, enjoying the shade and each other's company.
  • By the time I got back home, it was hot and I was overheated. Stopped at Confluence Park behind REI and dove into the river to cool off. It was here that I saw an older man on the REI side of the river drop his hybrid-style looking bicycle into the river. I stood and watched for a few minutes as he sat on the concrete ledge and kicked his feet as his bike sat in the drink with the water covering the hubs of his wheels.  He then jumped in himself and attempted for forge the river, pushing his bike along the river bed. When he got to the point where the water was so deep that just his handlebars and seat were showing, and the current starting to push him around a little bit, he started shouting and gesturing wildly to no one in particular, turned around, and headed back to his "shore," where he shoved the bike up and out of the river, and then clambered after it. Wow.
And I guess that's all. I haven't done much but sit on the couch and rehydrate since getting home, but what a fun ride.

No comments: