Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Library

I'm building a library. It will be the most authoritative collection of material about bicycles and pirates on either side of the Mississippi.

The list below serves as a "suggested reading" list and as a plan of acquisition in the development of the collection.

Yargh!


The Man Who Rode His 10 Speed Bicycle To The Moon
Bernard Fischman
I read this book when I was in the 5th grade, and it has haunted me ever since.


Traffic: Why We Drive The Way We Do (And What It Says About Us)
Tom Vanderbilt
Incredible insights into, observations about, and factoids regarding the most complicated and dangerous thing that most people will ever do, and spend hours each day doing.


Urban bikers' tricks & tips : low-tech & no-tech ways to find, ride, & keep a bicycle
Dave Glowacz
Amazon | Library
This is the best book about commuting that I've read. Just like it says in the title, it is chock full of low-tech and no-tech tips. It's heavily illustrated and very accessible. The grand theme of this book is "All you need to ride a bike is a bike." You don't need hundreds of dollars of Lycra or spandex.

Effective
cycling
John Forester
Amazon | Library
This is my bike bible. An authoritative guide to bike mechanics and politics. It's my first reference when I have a question.

No comments: